Friday, August 10, 2012

Sore arms and a happy heart

heh.
Hi there.
This isn't three days late. I'm not a liar who said I'd be posting daily. I haven't been sleeping everyday instead of doing anything productive...

If you can forgive me and continue reading, I shall summarize things that happened the past three days and promise double postings this weekend to catch up on past events that need to be shared (cough the interviews cough).

So Wednesday, I put my phone next to my pillow, determined to wake up and do a double work-out (one in the morning and one... sometime after work) and unfortunately the Fates made my flailing-sleeping-Gabby arms knock said phone into the Most Evil Crack of DOOM (in between my bed and the wall). So I woke up early to the alarm along with a double-loud vibration of my phone buzzing against the bed and the wall. I'm certain my neighbors wanted to kill me.
I'm sure you're wondering, "Gabby, why didn't you just reach down and grab the phone between the bed and the wall?" - And I would answer, "IT'S IMPOSSIBLE. DON'T ASK QUESTIONS YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!"
But actually these beds are terrible. They must be custom made to fit just too perfect in every room. I was half convinced they were molded to the floor as permanent structures. They are not like the moveable, organize your room however you want beds at Harvard. (I don't know if this is unusual or normal compared to other dorms). They are giant and wooden and heavy with drawers on the bottom and I already lost my way too expensive Korean literature textbook in the Most Evil Crack of DOOM's neighbor (crack at the foot of the bed) and gave up trying to fish that out ages ago.
But my phone wouldn't shut up. And it was more expensive. So I attempted the impossible.
I pulled out the two giant wooden drawers with my clothes still in them, tried reaching under the bed - and there's a different wooden pannel that blocked me mid-way to the wall.
I tried to move the bed with my mighty arm strength thinking that without the drawers, the bed would be lighter. It didn't budge.
I easily threw off the mattress next (lies, it was super awkward - mattresses (mattressi?) are not friendly) and then tried to move the bed.
It was probably my imagination, but I thought it moved slightly. So I ran from one end of the bed to the other, "inching" (not the length of an inch, but that verb hopefully can mean "moving very slightly so maybe a microscope could tell I was moving it") the bed along for several minutes or a while.
My alarm was still going off.
When I thought that the bed must've moved enough I somehow DID move the bed enough. I reached down and got my phone with the tip of my figures and celebrated by turning of that awful alarm and exploring the disgusting amount of dust and past students random things that had been consumed by the Most Evil Crack of DOOM.

I didn't get a run in that morning, but I certainly got a arm work-out.

At the nursery I spent my first real chunk of time with the 2012 babies (due to the 2011s sleeping much longer during nap-time). Let me introduce:

- 준혁 (june-hyok) - February 2012 baby. This boy smiles at everyone and I know plenty of guys who spend hours styling their hair to look like how his does all the time naturally. He is currently mastering the roll. Most the time he can get from his back to his stomach and back, but if he starts crying, 75% of the time is because he got stuck/couldn't figure out how to roll. I also enjoy lifting the toys he is holding onto slightly so it is like a mini bicep building routine for him.
- 준회(june-hee) - January 2012 baby. He is much fatter but not nearly at 도진's level. hehehe. He is also incredibly adorable. If he starts crying, I find lifting him up to "stand" while supporting him makes him satisfied. It also is a grueling workout because he doesn't actually have the strength to hold himself up unlike the 2011 babies. Imagine lifting a barrel of manageable weight up and down from the floor to comfortable carrying stance. Okay that's not too bad right? That's like lifting the babies up to carry them. Now imagine squatting and holding the barrel away from you and straight out. Much harder yes? It's five times the workout of carrying babies, I swear. I couldn't last more than five minutes at a time.

They are both very similar in that they have giant eyes that seem permanently open. They watch everything so carefully. They must be learning so much. You can tell that they are growing so much everyday. Everything seems like a muscle-building workout or visual treat for them. It just makes you feel really awesome to be around them.

Wednesday was also a big day because a new baby arrived. He is only around 20 days old. It's kind of terrifying how small he is. When I held him, I thought if I moved too quickly I'd break something, but he fell asleep immediately, which made me feel pretty baby-suave-y. He has some developmental problem with his throat and cannot swallow milk normally so the nurse had to come in and insert some tube contraption through his nose to feed him. It was pretty dramatic. Everyone crowded around and no one talked, making it very tense. I think the student volunteers became squeamish at the sight because their faces made it look like the nurse was personally murdering the baby instead of helping him...

And I shall dramatically end here for now because I am falling asleep.

TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments:

Post a Comment