Sunday, August 17, 2014

Final Goesan adventures

Hello, world! I apologize for my absence… recently we've been beyond busy, like busy to infinity and beyond busy.



It's Day 47 and I leave Goesan tomorrow to go to my placement!
WHAAAAT?
Yeah time just disappears like that… so…
We've got a lot to catch up on. Let's get started.

I'll divide these adventures with, adventures in Goesan and adventures in the great beyond (outside Goesan (still in Korea folks)). I might just have to share the other adventures next time.

GOESAN ADVENTURES

So do any of you remember my numerous grievances with the couple culture that is magnified to infinity and beyond in Korea? Korea loves matching shirts, hats, bunny ears (in Lotte World esp.), shoes, everything. And it get obnoxious when you see it a billion times every day. Well, Ewha was like a magnus nucleus* of couples and dating, so in comparison, this summer has not been so bad.
But! I have found evidence of the impossible. My first night out in Goesan, we were walking in town and I saw on display in a store what I imagined only jokingly last time:
"Cute couples with matching plastic surgery and underwear <- LOL JK NEVER HAPPENING ㅋㅋ "
Well, there in the window, was the matching underwear of my nightmares.
I unfortunately did not take a photo.
FEAR NOT! I kept a look out in town, and while the window display was changed by the time I found the store again, I found something recently that takes couple culture to a whole new level.
Is your sense of adventure and the thrill of romance dull? Want to try adding a new element to spice things up? Find a friend and get ready! Announcing: THREESOME COUPLE UNDIES



This next story is just something cute and sweet - when I went to visit an elementary school with an ETA last month, there was this adorable artwork on display.



It's about reuniting Korea.
Stuff like this makes me hopeful for the future and nostalgic for the power of children's dreams.

Last Goesan story!
I went out for lunch with some classmates after we finished our Korean final last week. Like finals in college, I didn't really sleep the night before. I had the whole messy-student-look going for me (glasses, no makeup, giant T shirt).
Now with this background information, allow me to explain what went down.
A friendly 아줌마 old lady talked to us a bit. Shared stories of her daughter who is studying in Canada.  She made sure we had lots of food and complemented our Korean. We made eye contact several times, but I didn't directly talk to her very much.
Over half way through our meal, she suddenly walks up to my shoulder, places her hand on me, and asks very seriously, 남자? 여자? Basically asking if I am a man or a woman, with more emphasis on thinking that I was a guy. She then went on to explain that she thought that I was the most beautiful boy in the world. But, after figuring out I'm actually a girl, just sort of wrinkled her brow and walked away. It was a good laugh when it happened. Even now I sort of shake my head a bit, and wonder if I should be happy that I could be taken for a beautiful male.. That is beauty stereotypes for you… "short hair = man" for many old people.

Anyways - to close our Goesan story, here is a beautiful Goesan sunset!


I'll try to post again soon because there are plenty more stories to share!
Bye for now!

-Gabs


* I realize that this is not a real term. But I thought it sounded cool... THIS IS MY BLOG I do what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment